Is there one place in the world that you are just dying to travel? The only place that is on my bucket list is Australia and I have been dreaming about a trip to this country for the longest time. With all of the other places that I have traveled you are probably wondering why this hasn’t happened as of yet. Well, Australia is SO far away that I’d like to devote more than one week of vacation time to this trip so I’ve been waiting for the perfect time to take the leap. With the Australian Open launching next week I decided that this would be the perfect time to bring Australia home for a little party with my friends over at World Market. There is nothing more exciting than a good tennis match, some tasty Australian Food like Sausage Rolls and Salmon Potato Cakes and an intense game of table tennis.
Interested in hosting your own table tennis tournament in honor of the Australian Open? Here are a few snack and drink ideas that you can feature at your gathering to feed all of your hungry fans!
- Australian Licorice is one of my favorite treats! Fill up a cute jar with these little bites so that your guests can snack during the party.
- Who doesn’t love an adorable koala? Fill a second jar with Koala’s March Chocolate Cookies for another bite-sized snack!
- Serve up bottles of Bundaberg Root Beer, a tasty beverage crafted right in Australia!
- For heartier snacks, try Aussie Sausage Rolls and Salmon Potato Cakes. These snacks are sure to win over your guests!
Grab your table tennis rackets and get your friends ready for the ultimate tournament. Have the bracket and rules set ahead of time so that everyone can see and prepare a prize for the winner. A box of Australian favorites is the perfect way to celebrate an Aussie win!
Are you ready for some recipes? Aussie Sausage Rolls are quick and easy to make and are a filling option for serving a crowd. I like to sprinkle the tops with paprika and cumin seeds for an extra burst of flavor. The Salmon Potato Cakes offer a bit of a different flavor but is sure to delight. You can prepare these rather easily using store-bought hash browns and Classic Smoked Salmon.
Be sure to watch the Australian Open on the Tenni Channel January 16 through January 29, 2017. For details: http://tennischannel.com
You can also enter for your chance to win a trip to the 2018 Australian Open with World Market! Details can be found here -> http://www.worldmarketsweepstakes.com
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- Cumin seeds
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first five ingredients and ¾ teaspoon paprika. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into an 11x10-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut lengthwise into three strips. Spread ½ cup sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each strip. Fold over sides, pinching edges to seal. Cut each log into six pieces.
- Place on a rack in a 15x10x1-in. pan, seam side down. Sprinkle with remaining paprika and cumin seeds. Bake until golden brown and sausage is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes.
- 3 cups freshly shredded potatoes
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 package World Market Classic Smoked Salmon
- Sour cream
- 1 bunch fresh chives , finely chopped
- Combine the potatoes and the spring onions, seasoning, flour and half the butter and mix well. Divide into 6 equal balls and pat into flat rounds. Leave covered in the fridge overnight if you can.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and add the rest of the butter. Gently fry the potato cakes, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until light brown and heated through. Keep warm.
- Arrange a couple of potato cakes on each plate and top with smoked salmon. Spoon sour cream over the cakes and sprinkle over the chives. Season well.