So I don’t know if you’ve heard but there is sort of a a big football game coming up on Sunday. A big game with one of my favorite artists performing during halftime. But that’s another conversation. Today and all week we are talking about food to serve during this special game. Because really, that’s all I care about when it comes to football. Since testing this recipe for French Onion Beef Sliders last weekend they are honestly all my husband can talk about. They are that good and you’re going to want to serve them for the big game this weekend.
If you’re a fan of French onion soup (I don’t know how you can’t be) then you totally will fall in love with these burgers. The secret ingredient in the meat is beef base, a highly concentrated beef stock that adds so much extra flavor to the meat. Pair that with melted Gruyere cheese and buttery onions and these sliders won’t last long on the plate!
I love sliders because they allow you to an entree-style food in bite-sized form which allows you to enjoy all of the other snacks that are offered. Like nachos. And chips and dip. And wings. Because let’s face it, there’s no such thing as a diet when it comes to football parties and I’m OK with that!
So here you go. The. Best. Sliders. You’ll ever try and your party guests will thank you!
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons beef base, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, divided
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 16 slider buns
- 12-16 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, about 25-30 minutes. If the onions start to look dry or burnt, add a tablespoon of water to the pan.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the ground beef with half of the beef base and half of the Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the beef into 16 even patties. Pan fry on the stove in a non-stick skillet until the meat is cooked medium, 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Separate the tops from the bottoms of the slider buns. Fit the slider bottom buns tightly on the baking sheet.
- Place one beef patty onto each bottom bun and top with the gruyere cheese. Place a heaping scoop of the onions on top of the cheese. Cover with the top buns.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter with the remaining beef base. Stir in the remaining Worcestershire sauce and continue to mix until well-combined. Using a pastry brush, brush the beefy butter mixture over the top buns. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, thyme, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bake the sliders until the cheese is fully melted and the tops of the rolls are lightly browned, about 5-8 minutes.