Father’s Day is coming up this weekend and I’m sure many of you are planning a cookout with your dad so I thought that this would be a good time to present one of the most delicious burgers that I’ve ever made! Seriously…I’m traditionally a ketchup and mustard kind of gal but this burger really takes the cake. Imagine piling creamy gouda, crispy bacon and spicy onions on top of your burger and topping it off with a deliciously sweet BBQ sauce. I give you the Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Bacon Burger.
I was really toying around with burger combinations as part of a Budweiser BBQ Sauce Recipe Challenge that I was entering. Budweiser recently launched a line of BBQ and wing sauces as well as steak marinades and steak sauce. After receiving a huge shipment of the sauces to try, I settled on the Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce as the topping for my burgers. I also managed to incorporate their Mild Wing Sauce as well. You can learn more about where to find these specific sauces in your area here.
I was going with the theme of the ultimate ‘man-burger’ which is where all of the smoky flavors came into play. Bacon….check. BBQ Sauce…check. Something spicy…check! I also opted for the pretzel bun because I have always liked how the salty topping on these buns really compliments the burger flavor. These burgers are best served with a side of bread and butter pickles, crispy onion rings and an ice cold beer. I promise, you’ll love this flavor combination!
Have a great weekend and be sure to take #fnfrecipes on Instagram if you make these and post a photo!
- 4 4 ounce burger patties
- 4 pretzel buns
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 1-pound onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Budweiser Mild or Hot Wing Sauce (or other wing sauce)
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, fully cooked
- ¼ cup Sweet & Smoky Budweiser BBQ Sauce (or other sweet & smoky barbecue sauce)
- 4 medium sized onion rings, baked or fried according to package instructions
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the onion is crisp-tender and just turning translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and beef broth and remove from the heat. Season with salt.
- Season the beef patties with salt and cook on a grill heated to medium until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side. Top each burger with 1 slice of smoked Gouda and cook until the cheese melts, 1 minute.
- In the last minute on the grill, toast the top and bottoms of the pretzel buns.
- Divide the BBQ sauce evenly on the bottom half of the buns. Top each bun with a burger patty, bacon, 1 onion ring and the onion mixture. Close the burgers and serve alongside of additional BBQ sauce if desired.
Check out Budweiser sauces on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!