Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GetGrillingAmerica #CollectiveBias
Currently the temperatures here in Wisconsin are in the 70s and I could not be happier! I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for the weather to get nice and to be able to sit outside and enjoy my patio. With Memorial Day coming up I have been trying to plan for a cookout at my house and working on my menu. I always like to start with my meat and work on everything else from there. This year I’m going to be making my famous Honey Chipotle Baby Back Ribs with a variety of sides and desserts.
If you have never made baby back ribs do not panic. They are not as intimidating as you may think and it really is easy to make them so tender they fall off of the bones. The key to a tender rib is to cook it low and slow and then pop them on the grill to finish them off with some sauce. I picked up a package of Smithfield® Pork Back Ribs at my local Walmart for this recipe. They carry a wide array of Smithfield® ribs but the Pork Back Ribs are my favorite. I love that their ribs have no added hormones or steroids and are extra tender and juicy. No matter your level your level of expertise you can grill these ribs!
Prepare the Ribs
I like to start by rinsing off the ribs and then patting them dry. I use a simple rub of seasoning salt and ground pepper before placing them into a 13×9 pan. The key to this recipe is time and you’ll need about 4 hours with these ribs in your oven at 250°F before firing them over a charcoal grill with the sauce. For the sauce I like to dress up KC Masterpiece sauce with smoky chipotle powder, garlic salt, paprika and extra honey. The extra honey will help the sauce caramelize on the ribs.
Enter to Win
I encourage to to try out your grilling skills this Memorial Day with the most delicious ribs you will ever try. I also want to encourage you to head on over to the Smithfield® Get Grilling America site and enter for your chance to win $5,000 and some other really great prizes. They are also featuring some really great grill tips and recipes for you to enjoy. Have a great Memorial Day!
- 2 racks Smithfield® Pork Back Ribs
- Seasoning Salt & Pepper
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke, hickory
- 1½ cup KC Masterpiece Original Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Rinse and pat dry the racks of ribs. Remove the silverskin from the back of the ribs. Sprinkle both sides with seasoning salt and pepper and rub in the seasonings. Cut the racks evenly in half to fit better in a 13x9 pan.
- With the ribs in the pan, fill the bottom with 2" of water and the liquid smoke. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and bake for 3½ hours.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the ribs on a charcoal grill for 5 minutes on each side, brushing sauce on each side. Serve immediately.
- FOR THE SAUCE: Combine the barbecue sauce, honey, chipotle chili powder, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.