Is it just me or does grilled salmon remind you of summer? Maybe it’s the beautiful color of salmon and how it complements so many delicious vegetables that gets me excited to put some on the grill! This Lemony Dill Salmon with Roasted Vegetables is no different!
But before we get to a tasty salmon recipe, I wanted to talk about some health benefits of salmon. It really is a power house of nutrients and can help with many of your body functions. Here are 5 healthy benefits of salmon:
- Eating salmon reduces the risk of depression – The brain is 60 percent fat and most of that is the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which is critical it is for brain function and a healthy nervous system. Eating salmon regularly has been associated with reducing the risk and incidence of depression, hostility in young adults and cognitive decline in the elderly.
- Eating salmon increases your cardiovascular health – Salmon contains high levels of the omega-3 fats, EPA and DHA. These fats are responsible for many cardiovascular benefits such as reducing inflammation. When eaten two to three times per week, salmon can protect you from problems such as heart attack, stroke, arrhythmia, high blood pressure and high triglycerides.
- Salmon is an excellent source of Vitamin D – Sufficient vitamin D is crucial to maintaining optimal health. A deficiency of this essential vitamin has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and type-1 diabetes.
- Salmon enhances the benefits of fresh greens – The proteins, B vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids in salmon complement the antioxidants and vitamin C in greens such as spinach and kale.
- Eating salmon is beneficial in the treatment of osteoarthritis and other inflammatory joint conditions – Salmon contains small proteins called bioactive peptides. One in particular, called calcitonin, has been shown to increase, regulate and stabilize collagen synthesis in human osteoarthritic cartilage. This salmon-found protein also improves bone density and strength.
Is your mind blown? Take a break from your normal dinner routine and try this salmon for dinner tonight!
Want more salmon recipes? Get them here!
- 4 – 4-6 ounce salmon filets, skin removed
- 4 lemons
- Handful of fresh tarragon
- Handful of fresh dill
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup diced garlic scapes
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces fresh haricots verts
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 2 fresh baby artichokes, quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place 4 12” sheets of aluminum foil on a flat work surface. Slice 2 of the lemons and place 2 lemon slices on each of the sheets of aluminum foil.
- Divide the tarragon, dill, garlic scapes and shallot between the 4 sheets of foil. Lay each piece of salmon on the bed of lemon and herbs. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and brush each piece with 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Squeeze ½ of each of the remaining lemons over the top of the salmon.
- Fold each of the packets tightly to secure the steam inside of the pouch.
- Lay out a 24” sheet of aluminum foil and place all of the vegetables into the center. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Fold the aluminum foil on the top and the sides to secure the steam inside of the pouch.
- Heat a grill or campfire to medium-high heat. Place the packets onto a flat grate and grill/cook for 8-10 minutes. Carefully open the salmon packets, being cautious of the steam. Divide the vegetables and salmon between 4 plates.