If you’ve been following on Instagram then you would know that I’ve been in Philadelphia all week. While I love not having to clean up any kitchen messes when I’m on the road, I start to miss being able to cook for myself! Although, I would still trade a messy kitchen for an authentic Philly Cheesesteak any day! I’m not on vacation so I’m coming home to more work and some recipe projects which means that I’ll be looking for some quick and easy dinner ideas for the weekend. Curry has been one of my favorite new flavors and this Quick Coconut Chicken Curry is packed with ginger and garlic and can be made in under 25 minutes!
Coconut milk is my new friend when it comes to mealtime as it adds a wonderfully creamy texture to any meal. I also love that it is good for your heart. (Not that I would trade this for a glass of wine!) I used white rice for my dish but you can boost your whole grains with a quality brown rice. Feel free to load up on the spinach in this dish, or you can swap it out for kale too.
If it’s date-night in your house tonight, or if you’re just not interested in a huge mess after a long week, try this meal out for size. Serve up this curry with a side of rice an naan bread for the perfect meal!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 2½ teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut or vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 (2½") piece ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup raw cashews, chopped
- 5 ounces baby spinach (or kale)
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems and cooked rice or naan
- Toss chicken with curry powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet (at least 12" in diameter) over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Purée coconut milk, ginger, and garlic in a blender until very smooth.
- Add chicken and coconut milk mixture to skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using, heat 2 tsp. oil in a small skillet over medium. Add cashews and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2–3 minutes. Immediately transfer mixture including the oil to a small bowl.
- Fold spinach into chicken mixture and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cilantro and cashew mixture, if using. Serve with rice or naan alongside.