This post is sponsored by Jennie-O. All opinions expressed are my own.
I was part of a conversation yesterday regarding the main meat served at the holidays and the general consensus was ham. I don’t know about you, but we don’t do ham during Christmas in my house, we traditionally serve a turkey dinner. It is also my preference. Since I already know that I’ll be cooking a turkey this year I decided to get a head start on ideas for the leftovers. This was my first try at making paella but I must say, my Spicy Turkey Paella turned out pretty amazing and I think you might agree!
Paella is traditionally a Spanish rice dish seasoned with saffron and often served with seafood. It is often cooked over an open fire fueled by orange and pine branches so that the flavors get infused into the dish. I didn’t really feel like starting a fire in my house so I used my Dutch oven on the stove to cook the dish and finished it in my oven. Much safer! I had cooked an OVEN READY™ Cajun Style Bone-In Turkey Breast during a trial run of my holiday feast and paired the spicy leftovers with turkey sausage for a lower-fat dish. I mentioned by love for the OVEN READY turkey from Jennie-O last month and wanted to reiterate that this is by far the easiest way to make a turkey dinner and by far the best. It turns out moist and delicious every single time and there’s no thawing or seasoning needed! I decided to spice up my life this time around by trying their Cajun-style turkey.
This paella is super easy to make and is packed with flavor. If you have never used saffron in your dishes before, it is what will give the dish the vibrant yellow color and can be found in most spice shops or your local Trader Joe’s stores. If you want the dish to be even spicier then you can certainly add an extra shake or two of cayenne pepper. This meal is great when served immediately or is also perfect do divide into smaller containers for a meal-prep option.
I have to ask now, is your family a ham-family or a turkey-family for holiday meals? Give the OVEN READY™ Cajun Style Bone-In Turkey Breast a try this holiday season and save some leftovers to make this Spicy Turkey Paella!
- 14 ounces Jennie-O Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 4 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4½ cups cooked Jennie-O OVEN READY Cajun-Style Turkey Breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in rice, saffron, chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, oregano and cayenne. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add sausage, turkey, and peas to rice mixture. Bake paella 10 minutes and serve.