I’m sitting here in Wisconsin writing this post and it’s 24° F outside and I’m wishing I was back in California like I was 2 weeks ago on Sunday. Not just because of the temperature but also because it was when I was first introduced to my new favorite salad: Coconut Kale Chicken Salad.
I don’t usually spend a lot of time at ‘trendy’ restaurants when I’m in California but I had the chance to check out Catch for brunch. I have been to Catch in NYC but the Los Angeles location definitely offers a beautiful setting with gorgeous views! This is definitely one of those restaurants if you want to be seen or catch a glimpse of a celebrity but they also have some really delicious food.
Kale is my new favorite base for salads because it’s crunchy and packed with nutrients. I never have been able to get on board with the spinach salad so I’m excited that I love kale so much. I also love that it holds up well if you need to dress it ahead of time and won’t get wilted if you don’t get to eat it right away. This salad has everything that you need for a well-balanced meal: chicken, quinoa, sweet potatoes and avocado. This salad is great for lunch in a smaller portion or amazing as a dinner salad. The best part about this salad is the shallot vinaigrette which really compliments all of the flavors within the salad.
I’ve been preparing this salad on Sunday nights for my workweek, leaving the dressing and avocado off until I’m ready to eat. I also keep a small container of toasted coconut on the side to sprinkle on my salad before serving. It sounds complicated but really is not. If you’re looking for a great salad to meal-prep for your workweek then I recommend giving this one a try this week!
- 6 cups kale, chopped
- 8 ounces poached or rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- To roast the sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Peel and cube the sweet potato into ½" cubes and toss them in a drizzle of olive oil. Spread the sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until tender in the center. Allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallots and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and whisk or shake until well combined.
- Divide the kale between 4 bowls or containers. Top each bowl evenly with chicken, tomatoes, quinoa and sweet potatoes. Top each bowl with ½ of an avocado that has been diced and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Drizzle dressing on top of each salad and serve.