Even though I’m coming off of a very unseasonably cool weekend here in Wisconsin, I certainly have my sights set on all of the warm days ahead. I feel like the days have just been passing by so quickly that I feel like summer will be over before I know it and I might have missed out on some of my favorite summer activities! I love a good gathering on a warm summer afternoon with friends and I’m planning to bring this Summer Tortellini Salad to the next potluck I attend!
I almost feel like I need to put together a summer bucket list so that I can be sure not to miss out on any of the activities that I feel are a requirement for summer. Here are a few of the things that I’d like to enjoy:
- Head to the Madison farmer’s market – This is allegedly one of the biggest farmer’s market in the country and one of my favorite things to do with my mom during the summer.
- Enjoy an outdoor summer concert, with wine and cheese, of course
- Pack a picnic and head out of the city for a few hours
- Tailgate at a baseball game
- Sip pints of beer at the local beer garden – Does your city have one of these? Best invention ever!
I’m sure I’ll be adding to this list as the summer progresses. What are some of your favorite summer activities? If they include picnics with friends then I recommend bringing this tasty Summer Tortellini Salad along to share!
- 1 8 ounce package cheese tortellini
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch spears
- 1 cup shelled peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 5 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt. Meanwhile, prepare and ice bath and prep vegetables.
- When the water is boiling, add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions. After 3 minutes, add the asparagus. Add the peas for the last 30 seconds.
- Strain the pasta and vegetables and place immediately into the ice bath. Once they've cooled, strain again and pour into a mixing bowl. Add the spinach, radish, chives, pine nuts and feta cheese. Toss with vinegar and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.