I would say thank goodness that it’s finally April and the weather is going to start heating up EXCEPT there’s a giant snowstorm heading for Wisconsin today. I’m really starting to long for warmer temperatures and consistent sunshine! My friend recently returned from a trip to Hawaii and her stories had me longing for palm trees and some tropical flavors so I decided to work on some of my favorite Hawaiian recipes to share this week. First up: Hawaiian Macaroni Salad.
The “Plate Lunch” is a staple in Hawaii, from what I understand. It is also served at a local Hawaiian restaurant by my house so I know it actually exists. It typically consists of a scoop of rice, macaroni salad and an entree such as Kalua pork or Lau Lau, which is a fish dish.
I’m a big fan of most macaroni salads but the Hawaiian macaroni salad offers a bit of a tangy finish with plenty of creamy dressing. There are a few variations of it but it typically is only noodles, carrots and celery. When you’re mixing the sauce in with the noodles it may seem like you have too much but keep in mind that a lot of the sauce will soak into the noodles. This dish is best after it has been refrigerated for 2-3 hours.
Come back tomorrow for my Instant Pot Kalua Pork recipe to serve with this delicious Hawaiian Macaroni Salad!
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni pasta
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk (2% is best),
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and then drain well. Rinse with cold water.
- Place pasta in a large bowl and sprinkle with the apple cider vinegar, stirring to coat. Let the pasta absorb the vinegar and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, milk, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni salad into the dressing, stirring to coat and then let cool completely.
- Add in the carrots, green onions and celery and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours. Stir before serving.