This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
We are a full month into the new year and I have to say, I’ve been doing quite well with my better lifestyle! I had a small snag in the past week when I caught a cold but I am back on the bandwagon! Now we’re in February and that means that it’s Heart Health Month. This month I’m going to be focused on making recipes that are better for you including more leafy greens, things with low cholesterol, beans and of course, more dark chocolate. One of my new favorite heart healthy recipes is Spicy Coconut Curry Lentils loaded with flavor and spice. A clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
To lighten up my recipe I swapped out rice for cauliflower rice, added in kale and Mazola® Corn Oil in place of butter. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com. The American Heart Association recently issued a new presidential advisory on dietary fats and cardiovascular disease (CVD) that strongly advised replacing saturated fat, like that found in coconut oil, with polyunsaturated fat, like corn oil, to reduce the risk of CVD by 30 percent. Have you ever tried cauliflower rice? It’s easy to make yourself with a head of cauliflower and food processor or you can find it in the freezer section or fresh product section of your local grocer. I like to sauté the riced cauliflower with a drizzle of Mazola Corn Oil, a sprinkle of salt and to finish it off with a few tablespoons of coconut milk. This mixture nicely complements the curries lentils. This entire dish is super easy to prepare and is great for meal prep!
Give this recipe a try this month to celebrate the fact that February is Heart Health Month. Start making small changes in your diet and your heart will thank you later!
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup bulgur
- 3-4 cups water
- ¼ cup green curry paste
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- Cilantro for serving
- Place lentils, bulgur, 2 cups water, curry paste, and turmeric in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are mostly cooked. Add the remaining 1-2 cups water during cook time if lentils and bulgur have absorbed all the water. You want to cook it until there is no liquid remaining. Turn the heat to medium-low.
- Keeping the saucepan on the heat, stir in the tomato paste then add garlic and garam masala; stir to combine. Add coconut milk and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in ginger and kale until barely wilted.
- While the lentils are cooking prepare the coconut rice. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the Mazola Corn Oil and let get warm. Then add the cauliflower rice and salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and mix in. Serve with lentils and sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Check out Mazola for more delicious recipe ideas.