By now you know that we are right in the middle of the First Annual Grill Week at Food n’ Focus, so let’s continue with the grilling theme today! When you think of firing up the grill in the backyard what’s your favorite food to grill? One of my favorites is a big juicy cheeseburger. For years I have been trying to create a recipe for the perfect burger.
In the past I’ve tried adding complicated spice mixes to the patties, or have added other ingredients like cheese, mushrooms, peppers, or any other number of additives – however I have come to the conclusion that the patties should be very simple, providing you with an empty canvas to dress up the burger with toppings.
Today’s burger recipe arrives courtesy of Ralf Lauren via bon appétit magazine. The Double RL Ranch Burger can be ordered in Mr. Lauren’s Chicago restaurant, or you can try your hand at recreating this amazing burger in your own backyard – did we mention that you can win a brand new Hamilton Beach Quick Assembly Grill this week on Food n’ Focus?
The beautiful thing about this burger recipe (besides looking at the final product) is the fact that the patties themselves are very simple, the only seasoning that goes into the burger is salt – yes, you heard that right, just salt. With such a simple burger platform, it’s the toppings that turn this burger from ordinary to extraordinary. I’ll give you a little hint – it’s the sauce that makes this burger something special.
If you haven’t already done so, head back over and enter for your chance to win the Quick Assembly Grill from Hamilton Beach! There are a lot of opportunities for bonus entries as well. Good luck!
- Ralph’s Special Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's or Best Foods)
- ⅓ cup ketchup (preferably Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cornichons
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce (preferably Tabasco)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck (20% fat)
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces clothbound cheddar (such as Cabot), thinly sliced
- 8 sesame buns, toasted
- 16 slices bacon, cooked
- Green leaf lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced red onion, and sliced pickles (for serving)
- Ralph’s Special Sauce
- Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, cornichons, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and hot sauce in a small bowl; season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Divide beef into 8 portions (about 6 oz. each). Working with 1 portion at a time, cup your hands around the meat and begin to gently shape it into a round patty, being careful not to pack the meat too tightly. Lightly press down on patty to flatten, then press a slight indentation into the center with your thumb (this will prevent patties from bulging when cooked).
- Generously season both sides of patties with salt and grill 5 minutes. Turn and top with cheese. Cover grill and cook until cheese is melted and patties are medium-rare, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and let rest 5 minutes.
- Build burgers with buns, patties, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and special sauce.