I’ll be honest…When my coworker mentioned the ‘Lambeau Horse Collar’ to me a couple of weeks ago I had no idea what he was talking about. But after a bit of research, I wanted to bring you one of the most amazing football party foods around. The Lambeau Horse Collar is a newly launched food that can be found at Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers.
The Horse Collar is a 22″ ring kielbasa topped with beer cheese and deep fried sauerkraut. I attempted to replicate this in its entirety but then I realized how difficult it is to deep fry sauerkraut. Huge. Mess. Everywhere. If anyone has a technique on how to deep fry sauerkraut please let me know!
The best thing that I could find (outside of homemade) for the bun was a Pillsbury French Loaf. I was able to shape and manipulate the dough prior to baking to create the perfect size bun.
I’m pretty sure that these are made for one person at Lambeau but unless you’re having an eating contest at your football party this weekend, I recommend making 1-2 of them and dividing them up into 4-5 slices. I also made these a little more ‘Wisconsin’ by adding a tasty cheese curd to each piece. Enjoy!
- 1 1lb Kielbasa sausage
- 1 package Pillsbury French Loaf
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- Beer Cheese Dip (leave out the brat meat)
- Green onions and cheese curds to top
- Shape and stretch the French Loaf dough into the shape and length of the kielbasa. Bake according to package instructions.
- While the bun is baking, grill or pan fry the kielbasa until it is warm all the way through.
- Carefully cut a slit in the top of the bread from one side to the other. Gently place the warmed kielbasa into the bun. Top with beer cheese, sauerkraut and sprinkle with green onions. Serve whole or slice into pieces and serve with cheese curds.