Did you eat breakfast this morning? And no, coffee alone does not count for breakfast. Did you actually consume something to kickstart your body and get yourself moving on a Monday?
I’m typically a banana and almonds kind of gal but I thought I would try something a little more complex this week to start my mornings off right. The nice thing is that this is still a super easy breakfast that you can put together in 5 minutes in the morning. It just requires a little bit of prep on Sunday to get you through the week.
I was super excited when OXO sent me their all new Hand-Held Spiralizer because I’ve been seeing all sorts of spiralized vegetable recipes on Pinterest. I was a little skeptical at first regarding how well this would work but I’m telling you, it works perfectly and turns your vegetables into fun, spiralized foods.
I decided to spiralize sweet potatoes so that the cook time would be reduced. I paired the sweet potatoes with turkey breakfast sausage, onions and a pinch of thyme to create the perfect flavor profile for this breakfast. You can also add in chopped peppers or mushrooms if you would like more vegetables in your breakfast. I finished off my power breakfast bowl with 1 egg, sunny-side up! You’ve got protein, carbohydrates and vegetables, which is the perfect way to get your body going on a Monday morning!
If you’re looking to invest in a spiralizer but don’t have room for a full machine, I would recommend trying out the OXO Hand-Held Spiralizer. It works like a breeze and you can use it on so many different vegetables!
- 1 medium sweet potato, spiralized
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 egg
- Cook the breakfast sausage with the onions in a medium frying pan. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add in the sweet potato and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the sweet potato becomes wilted and cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add in the egg and cook sunny-side up, until the whites have become cooked.
- Plate the sweet potatoes along with the sausage blend. Top with the egg and serve immediately. Serve with additional salt and pepper if desired.