Today I am posting some delicious cupcakes that are a perfect fall treat. More importantly today I am teaming up with OXO in support of their Cookies for Kids’ Cancer campaign. This initiative was founded by two OXO employees who were inspired by their son’s battle with pediatric cancer. This is something that claims the lives of more children than any other disease.
While I have never had this disease strike an immediate member of my family, I have seen it firsthand in the lives of some friends. There is nothing worse than watching a family struggle with a child stricken by cancer.
I’m posting today to support this cause. You can support this cause by purchasing one of their special products that includes the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer sticker and OXO will donate 25 cents to the cause and cure. Pretty simple, hey?
I’ve paired together a spice cake with apple pie filling to add an element of surprise to the cupcakes. Using the OXO Cupcake Corer, I was able to easily make a small hole in the center of the cupcake for my filling. You’ll want to dice your apples small enough to fit within the hole.
Top these babies off with a caramel buttercream and a drizzle of caramel and you’ve got yourself a dessert!
- 1 box Spice cake mix
- Apple Pie Filling:
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon apple juice, apple cider, or lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
- Caramel Buttercream:
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- Prepare the cupcakes according to the Spice Cake package instructions, making 24 cupcakes. Cool.
- Place the apples into a pot of boiling water, cooking for 4-5 minutes until they are tender in the center. In a separate saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and cornstarch and bring to a low boil. The mixture will thicken. Add in the apples and vanilla and set to the side to cool.
- For the frosting, whip together the butter and shortening. Add in the caramel and vanilla and continue to whip until well combined. Add in the confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time and slowly mix until well blended. Add additional sugar until the frosting is stiff.
- Craft the cupcakes by coring out the center of each cake and placing a small spoonful of apple pie filling inside of it. Pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cupcake to fill the hole and drizzle with additional caramel.