Please excuse the interruption of Food n’ Focus regular posts while I continue to unpack from my move. I hope to have a post coming soon that showcases my new office! In the mean time I’m bringing a recipe that I worked on prior to packing up my kitchen and props.
Earlier this week I took a poll on Facebook asking if you preferred raisins in your carrot cake. The general consensus was that people did enjoy raisins in their carrot cake. I, however, do not like them. I think I’ve talking about my dislike for surprise raisins in the past and this is another situation of ‘surprise raisins’. You can add them into this recipe if you’d prefer. I think golden raisins would work best.
You’ll also notice the cute little carrot icing decorations that I used. I found these at Target and they are from Wilton. I saw them in their Easter section and just had to have them! You can also pipe carrots onto the top of your cupcakes using colored frosting if you’d like.
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes, with or without raisins!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups very finely shredded carrots
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 30 seconds, set aside. Shred carrots on the fine side of a cheese grater and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and brown sugar, then add eggs and using an electric hand mixer, blend mixture on low speed 30 seconds, until slightly pale. Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract. With mixer running on low speed, slowly pour in vegetable oil and mix until combined, then mix 20 seconds longer.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then pour the shredded carrots into the bowl with the remaining flour mixture and toss in flour mixture to coat carrots (they'll clump together a bit). Pour carrot mixture into the batter and blend until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup about ⅔ full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 19 - 21 minutes. Cool in muffin tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting then immediately roll edges of frosting in chopped pecans. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Allow to rest at room temperature before serving.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, whip together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Mix in vanilla extract. With mixer running on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar and beat until well blended and smooth, about 1 minute longer.