It’s back! Food n’ Fitness Friday is back! I know that you’ve missed it.
Let’s talk about one of my favorite foods: bacon. I know what you’re thinking. That doesn’t seem very healthy. This dish from Cooking Light incorporates just a hint of bacon with a light crumble on top of the pasta and by sauteing the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in the drippings. It’s the perfect balance of bacon flavor.
Let’s back track just a little bit. Do you ever come across something at the grocery store and buy it because it looks neat? I do this all the time, especially at Trader Joe’s. I can’t tell you how many random ingredients I have in my pantry just waiting to be used. If anyone has a suggestion for Apple Butter or Pepper Jelly just let me know!
I bought a bag of orecchiette about 6 months ago. Why? It looked like a fun pasta shape. I know I had planned to do something with it (I forgot what) and then never got around to it. So it has been sitting in my pantry for the last 6 months waiting for inspiration. Then I came across this recipe and a star was born! This pasta dish is flavorful and full of nutrients from the kale. Topping the dish with a sprinkle of bacon and Parmesan brings the flavors together into a delicious dinner. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 5 cups bagged prewashed kale
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add kale, and cook 2 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; crumble and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sun-dried tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add pasta mixture, reserved ½ cup cooking liquid, black pepper, and salt to pan; toss to combine. Top pasta mixture evenly with bacon and cheese; drizzle evenly with lemon juice.