If there’s one thing that totally bugs me it’s spring time change. I hate that the universe just totally swipes an hour out of my weekend. On the upside that means it’s nearly spring and warmer temperatures are on the horizon! I’m getting so excited to get back outside and to start enjoying some fresher foods.
Which brings me to today’s post: Prosciutto, Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza. This pizza just screams fresh! Fresh pizza dough, ricotta cheese, prosciutto, gorgonzola, pears, red onion, all topped off with a mache blend from organicgirl. Did I just blow your mind? Was it the flavor combination or the fact that you have no idea what ‘mache’ is? You’re not alone because up until recently I had no idea what it was either but rest assured, it’s pretty delicious. Mache Rosettes are a favorite French green offering a nutty, sweet and crunchy taste.
So let’s get back to the pizza… You can make your own crust or find a prepackaged one at your grocery store. I would look for a fresh and not frozen dough. It’ll make a world of difference. This pizza also comes out best when you use a pizza stone that you’ve heated to 450 degrees F in your oven prior to dressing the pie. This helps create a crispy base for your ingredients.
I encourage using a high quality Prosciutto di Parma for the best flavor profile. At any rate, you’re going to love the sweet/salty/crispy outcome that you’ll get with this recipe.
While I’m sure you’re sitting in front of your computer drooling right now I wanted to give you an opportunity to win some Mache Rosettes of your own from organicgirl. Better yet, who wants to win a year of free greens from organicgirl?! That’s 1 shell per week for 52 weeks. Interested? This is a two-part giveaway. You’ll want to enter today to win but you’ll also have to come back on Monday, March 23rd for another tasty recipe and the second part of this giveaway. You must enter both giveaways to qualify to win. Good luck!
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- Corn meal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 ounces Prosciutto di Parma, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ounce gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about ¼ cup)
- 2 cups organicgirl Mache Blend salad
- 1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven with a pizza stone inside to 450 degrees F.
- Toss the pizza dough lightly with flour and work into a 12" crust. Working quickly, remove the pizza stone from the oven and sprinkle with corn meal. Carefully lay the pizza dough onto the stone and place back into the oven for 5-6 minutes. The crust will start to bubble.
- Remove the pizza stone with crust from the oven to dress. Combine ricotta and nutmeg in a small bowl. Spread ricotta mixture over dough, leaving a ½-inch border; top evenly with Prosciutto di Parma, onion, and gorgonzola cheese. Brush edges of dough with 1 teaspoon oil. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Top pizza evenly with mache blend and pear; sprinkle with pepper. Cut into 8 wedges.