This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. The opinions and text are all mine. #TysonBlackenedChickenStripsAtMeijer #CollectiveBias
Since I spent so much time in Europe over the past year I decided that this next year would be devoted to US travel. There are so many places right here at home that require my attention such as Yellowstone, Charleston and New Orleans. I have been to New Orleans in the past but not really for a foodie adventure and I feel like this city has so much to offer from a culinary standpoint. I’m not interested in eating ‘gator and I’m not really about super spicy food but a little bit of Cajun really isn’t a bad thing! I’m declaring 2020 to be the year of a culinary trip to New Orleans and I’m kicking things off with this tasty (and super easy) recipe for Blackened Chicken Strips and Cajun Rice using Tyson® Blackened Chicken Strips.
I was at my local Meijer store last week and per usual protocol, I like to just browse around and find new products to try. When I came across Tyson® Blackened Chicken Strips I instantly put them in my cart and I am so happy that I did! I realized when I got home that they were so easy to prepare and offered the perfect amount of spice. I love that these chicken strips were 100% real and they made for a super simple meal! I think that these Chicken Strips would be a great addition to any salad and I decided to turn them into a meal by making a delicious Cajun rice.
I decided to keep things wholesome and made my Cajun Rice with brown rice. I loaded up on the peppers and onions and used just enough Cajun seasoning to bring a little heat to the meal. The rice comes together quickly and you can prepare this entire meal in around 30 minutes. It’s great for a family dinner or perfect as leftovers for lunch the next day. You can easily scale back on the Cajun spice if you want it less spicy. Stop on your way home from work tonight and grab all of the ingredients for this meal. You’ll be glad that you did!
- 1 20oz package of Tyson® Blackened Chicken Strips
- 1½ cups brown rice,
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1¼ cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook chicken according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, bring rice and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is standing, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, green and red bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes more. Stir in Cajun seasoning to taste and salt. Stir the rice into the vegetable mixture and serve along with Tyson® Blackened Chicken Strips.