I spent my weekend working on recipes for my soon to be released French cookbook. It really took me back to the past year using ingredients like fresh herbs and brined olives that I had picked up at the market and really made me miss my time abroad. I’m hopefully going to soon post a recap of my entire year and things that I took away from my European life so keep your eyes peeled for that! French cooking aside, I also took the time to make a tasty rice bowl with chicken, roasted peppers and onions and a fresh chimichurri sauce. These Chimi Chicken and Yellow Rice Bowls are perfect for meal prep or dinner this week.
I love this meal because it’s a complete meal in a bowl. Bright yellow rice colored by turmeric is topped with charred vegetables, cumin spiced chicken and tangy chimichurri sauce. I’m totally obsessed with chimichurri so if you have never tried it I would encourage you to give this recipe a try and fall in love just like I did. Chimichurri is a mix of chopped cilantro, olive oil, garlic and lime juice, It’s a fresh and vibrant flavor that your entire family will enjoy.
Let’s talk about the poblano peppers for a minute…When I made this dish I didn’t think twice about the heat of a poblano pepper so I chopped away and then touched my mouth….big mistake. While poblano peppers tend to be milder than a jalapeño they can still pack some heat! If you prefer less heat in your cooking then you might consider swapping the poblano for a red pepper.
So there you have it! Switch up your Taco Tuesday this week for this Chimi Chicken and Yellow Rice Bowl and save any leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock concentrate
- 1 chili or Serrano pepper
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1 Red Onion
- 10 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- In a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water, half the stock concentrate, 1 tablespoon butter and ¼ teaspoon turmeric. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Turn off heat; keep covered until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash and dry all produce. Core, deseed, and slice poblano into ½-inch-thick strips. Halve, peel, and slice onion into ½-inch wedges; mince a few wedges until you have 2 tablespoons. Finely dice tomato. Zest 1 lemon; quarter lemons. Mince garlic. Finely chop cilantro leaves and stems. Thinly slice chili, removing seeds for less heat.
- Toss poblano and onion wedges with a large drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet. Roast on top rack until softened and beginning to char, 18-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cilantro, half the cumin, half the garlic, juice from 1 lime and lime zest and chili to taste. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil; season generously with salt and pepper. In a separate small bowl, combine tomato, minced onion, and juice of 1 lime to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season with remaining cumin, salt, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked though, 4-6 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water and remaining garlic and stock concentrate until combined. Simmer until saucy, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter until melted.
- Fluff rice with a fork; season with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and top with veggies, chicken, and salsa. Spoon chimichurri over chicken. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.