I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out how we got to October already! While I’m a little sad that summer is over I am excited for some fall comfort food, cozy food and pumpkin spice lattes. The weather has been very shifty here in Wisconsin lately. We had 90 degree temperatures followed by more traditional fall weather so while I was craving chili it just didn’t seem to fit with the temperatures. But now that it’s cooling off outside I thought it was time to make this tasty Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili!
You’ve probably heard the term ‘paleo’ around the internet and you may or may not know anything about the topic. Essentially a paleo diet means meats/seafood/eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seed, and healthful oils. It cuts out all processed and refined foods, dairy, legumes and grains. I’m not here to push a diet on you, but I have found that eating under the paleo guidelines has really helped me feel more energetic and far less bloated. (TMI?) Don’t get me wrong, I love food so I certainly don’t eat this way 100% of the time. It’s really difficult to be a food blogger who loves pasta and never eat pasta! And you can’t have pasta without cheese! But for me I have found that this type of lifestyle is what really keeps me on track to being a healthier person and feeling better about myself.
I have been looking for paleo lunch ideas that go beyond a piece of chicken and vegetables that can easily be prepared ahead of time and eaten throughout the week. Last week I made paleo stuffed peppers that were delicious and this week I decided to make this Turkey Sweet Potato Chili. It comes together really quick, simmers for about an hour and then is ready to eat! I’m typically a girl that likes beans in my chili, which are not paleo, so the sweet potato adds in a similar texture. If you want to turn up the heat you can certainly sprinkle in some cayenne pepper to your liking. I’m also a fan of loading up my chili with cheese and sour cream which is a total paleo no-no so I supplemented with a bit of avocado and honestly feel so fulfilled with this meal.
Is anyone else ready for chili season?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small red pepper, seeds and stem removed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (4 ounces) diced green chiles with juice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into cubes
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add in the onion, peppers, garlic and turkey and cook until browed. Season with salt.
- Stir in the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles and spices. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the sweet potato cubes and continue to simmer for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour until the sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with avocado if desired.