I really hate when I have to admit that I waste a lot of food in my house. I grocery shop and plan my meals out for the week and then things come up and I find myself eating out instead of eating the food that I have at home. By the end of the week I have a refrigerator full of spoiled produce. It really is sad.
I was super excited to find out that OXO offers some really awesome storage containers for produce. The OXO GreenSaver Produce Keepers feature all-natural, non-toxic activated carbon filters filled with nooks and crannies that trap and absorb ethylene gas, slowing down spoilage and keeping fruits and vegetables fresh longer. I was even more excited when OXO offered to send me one to try out along with some tasty cucumbers from Melissa’s Produce.
I love that the containers offer a colander perfect for rinsing the vegetables prior to storage. Under the lid there is a nice little guide that instructs you on how much venting to allow for different vegetables and also a date indicator to tell you when you replace the carbon filter. I put my cucumbers in the container 2 weeks ago and I’m being honest when I say they still look as good as new. I think OXO is onto something!
Since Melissa’s sent me a bunch of cucumbers I thought I would put them to good use by making a tasty cucumber salad that my mom used to make. This salad is perfect for summer picnics or this weekend for your Memorial Day cookout. Enjoy!
- 1 pound English cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber), sliced ⅛ inch thick
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, chives, or a mixture of both
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a colander or fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Add the cucumbers and ½ teaspoon of the salt and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Line a work surface with 1 layer of paper towels. Using your hands, remove the cucumbers from the strainer and arrange them in a flat, even layer on the paper towels, top with another layer of paper towels, and gently press to absorb any moisture. Discard the liquid in the bowl and wipe it dry (no need to wash).
- Combine the sour cream, herbs, vinegar, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt in the bowl. Add the cucumbers and stir to evenly coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
This is a sponsored post from OXO and Melissa’s Produce. All opinions expressed are my own.