I’m going to be honest. I’m ready for soup season to be over. I’m ready for boot and sweater season to be over. It’s pretty sad when you get excited about 40 degree temperatures in the forecast!
But since it’s still chilly outside I thought I’d push out another soup recipe before spring. Broccoli Cheddar soup is one of my favorite comfort meals in the winter. This recipe is super quick and easy to whip up and the leftovers are perfect to reheat for lunch.
Speaking of lunches, how many of you pack lunches for your significant other or a child? Do you ever include any special surprises or note in with their lunch? This is probably one of my favorite thing to do for my fiance. I even like to leave him little notes on his coffee cup in the morning. It’s really the little things that can make someone’s day.
For this post I teamed up with Mini Babybel® to ‘pack up some fun’ for my fiance last week. I paired up a bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup along with some fruit and of course, a Mini Babybel® to complete the meal. I think he really appreciated the love note that I left him too!
If you have never purchased Mini Babybel® cheeses, you really should give them a try. I like that they are a quick snack, 100% natural cheese and only contain 70 calories. They are a perfect on-the-go type of snack for kids and adults. My favorite is the white cheddar!
What are some of the ways that you pack up some fun in your family lunches?
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 heads broccoli, cut into florets and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, vegetable broth and heavy cream, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in broccoli.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Damn Delicious
This is a sponsored post from Mini Babybel. All opinions expressed are my own.