This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #40PerfectPairings #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
Oh hey Monday, how are you doing? I’m back in full swing after my gorgeous vacation in Barbados. It was the perfect opportunity to relax my mind and take a break from all of the work that has been going on in the Food n’ Focus world since the start of the year. Our trip was filled with sunshine, snorkeling, rum tasting and tropical foods. As I sit here thinking about how wonderful everything was, I’m taking my flavor palate back to the Caribbean with this Coconut Shrimp With Tropical Rice. A dish that is so easy, you’ll be able to make it in under 30 minutes for your family!
I’m all about homemade and gourmet eating but sometimes during the week I like to take a few shortcuts to make my life easier. My recent discovery of SeaPak® shrimp products at my local Walmart store has helped me create delicious weeknight meals in a snap. SeaPak just launched an awesome recipe book that features 40 quick and easy meals using their products and pairing ideas. I decided to use the SeaPak® Jumbo Coconut Shrimp for this dish to set the tone for a tasty tropical experience. I love that you can make this shrimp in your oven in under 12 minutes! If you are a first-time Walmart Grocery Pickup shopper, you’ll receive the booklet in your pickup order until mid-April and you can get 75 cents off of your SeaPak product purchase!
I paired the coconut shrimp with a side of tropical rice made with coconut water, lime zest, carrots and onion. I also made a piña colada dipping sauce for the shrimp! And speaking of pairing, no meal is complete without a side of wine. I love trying new wines and went with Black Box Pinot Grigio to bring out the citrus flavors in the meal. I’ve never purchased wine in a box before but I was sold on the fact that Black Box wines stay fresh for up to 6 weeks and they are a winner of 50 Gold Medals and 29 Wine Enthusiast Best Buys.
If you’re looking to take your family to the Caribbean for dinner tonight, this recipe is perfect for you. And for the adults, don’t forget the Black Box wine!
- 1 family size package SeaPak® Jumbo Coconut Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- For the rice:
- ¾ cup coconut water
- ¾ cup jasmati or other long-grain rice
- Zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1 cup pina colada mix
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple
- 4 teaspoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- Prepare the pina colada sauce by combining the pina colada mix, water, pineapple and coconut in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and some water in small measuring cup. Stir into the sauce mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before serving.
- For the rice, combine 1 cup water, the coconut water, rice and lime zest in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low; cover and simmer 8 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the carrots, red onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper (do not stir). Cover and let sit 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork to combine.
- Cook the shrimp according to the package instructions.
- Divide the rice and shrimp between 4 bowls and sprinkle with minced cilantro. Serve with the pina colada dipping sauce.